Thursday, December 30, 2010

Completed Books for 2010

  • If you remember back to this post, I challenged myself to read "classics" this year. I was able to make it happen, allowing myself some cheat books a couple of times (13 to be exact) most being towards the end of the year. Counting the Bible, I was able to read one more book then last year! So here is my completed book list for 2010...

  • 1. Little Women (1868) - Louisa May Alcott
  • 2. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865) - Lewis Carroll
  • 3. Through The Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There (1872) - Lewis Carroll
  • 4. Wuthering Heights (1847) - Emily Bronte
  • 5. Emma (1815) - Jane Austen
  • 6. Northanger Abbey (1818) - Jane Austen
  • 7. Persuasion (1818) - Jane Austen
  • 8. The Count of Monte-Cristo (1844) - Alexandre Dumas
  • 9. Sherlock Holmes: Selected Stories (1890 - 1917) - Conan Doyle
  • 10. Jane Eyre (1847) - Charlotte Bronte
  • 11. The Swiss Family Robinson (1812) - Johann Wyss
  • 12. The Scarlet Letter (1850) - Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • --------------------------------------------
  • * 13. The Help (2009) - Kathryn Stockett
  • 14. Little House in the Big Woods (1932) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 15. Little House on the Prairie (1935) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 16. Farmer Boy (1933) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 17. On the Banks of Plum Creek (1937) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 18. By the Shores of Silver Lake (1939) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 19. The Long Winter (1940) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 20. Little Town on the Prairie (1941) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 21. These Happy Golden Years (1943) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 22. The First Four Years (1971) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 23. On the Way Home (1962) - Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • 24. West From Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Fancisco 1915 - Laura Ingalls Wilder, Edited by Roger Lea MacBride
  • * 25. The Telling (2010) - Beverly Lewis
  • 26. To Kill A Mockingbird (1960) - Harper Lee
  • 27. The Wizard of Oz (1900) - L. Frank Baum
  • 28. The Secret Garden (1911) - Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • 29. Fahrenheit 451 (1953) - Ray Bradbury
  • 30. The Great Gatsby (1925) - F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • 31. A Separate Peace (1959) - John Knowles
  • 32. The Magician's Nephew (1955) - C. S. Lewis
  • 33. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950) - C. S. Lewis
  • 34. The Horse and His Boy (1954) - C. S. Lewis
  • 35. Prince Caspian (1951) - C. S. Lewis
  • 36. The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader' (1952) - C. S. Lewis
  • 37. The Silver Chair (1953) - C. S. Lewis
  • 38. The Last Battle (1956) - C. S. Lewis
  • 39. The Diary of a Young Girl (1952) - Anne Frank
  • 40. Peter Pan (1911) - J. M. Barrie
  • 41. Cold Sassy Tree (1984) - Olive Ann Burns
  • 42. Leaving Cold Sassy: The Unfinished Sequel to Cold Sassy Tree (1992) - Olive Ann Burns (with a Reminiscence by Katrina Kenison)
  • 43. A Farewell to Arms (1929) - Ernest Hemingway
  • * 44. Water for Elephants (2006) - Sara Gruen
  • * 45. The Hunger Games (2008) - Suzanne Collins
  • * 46. Catching Fire (2009) - Suzanne Collins
  • * 47. Mockingjay (2010) - Suzanne Collins
  • * 48. Sunshine (1971) - Norma Klein
  • * 49. Mercy (1996) - Jodi Picoult
  • * 50. Bravely to Dream (1965) - Natalie King
  • 51. Rebecca (1938) - Daphne DuMaurier
  • * 52. Finding Father Christmas: A Novella (2007) - Robin Jones Gunn
  • * 53. Christmas Jars: A Novella (2005) - Jason F. Wright
  • * 54. Engaging Father Christmas: A Novella (2008) - Robin Jones Gunn
  • * 55. This Side of Heaven (2009) - Karen Kingsbury
  • 56. The Bible

  • Highlights:

  • The first half of the year I stuck to books written in the 1800s. Although I only read 12, some of them were quit long. The Count of Monte-Cristo is the longest book I have read to date...topping out at more then 1300 pages. Although it was long, it was quite an enjoyable read. I love Jane Austen, but I would have to say that my other two favorite from this time period were Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre.

  • The second half of the year I read books from the 1900s. My favorites both being series. I loved rereading the Little House on the Prairie books. I hadn't read them since I was a child and LOVED them then. I was actually quite obsessed with Laura Ingalls as a child and did several research type projects on Laura and her family. I even went to two of her homestead sights (one in De Smet, South Dakota and the other in Mansfield, Missouri). I also really enjoyed reading the Chronicles of Narnia series. I had read a couple of books in the series but never the whole thing. Great reads!

  • Some of my favorite "cheat" books (an * on the list indicates a cheat book) were The Help, Water for Elephants, and the Hunger Games Trilogy. All of them were excellent!!!

  • I was also able to read through the Bible chronologically this year. I had never done this before. I will be honest and say that it was a challenge at times, but I am glad to have gotten through it and have learned a whole lot.

  • I don't have any reading goals for this next year. With the birth of Addisyn I am sure my numbers will be much lower. Happy Reading!!
I

No comments: